06 Jun My ‘First Billion’: Reflecting on Shipping Our Billionth SurgiLance Safety Lancet
Recently, we shipped ourbillionth SurgiLance™ safety lancetto AOSS Medical! Wow! That means we have literally touched (or pricked) patients’ lives a billion times since we sold our first SurgiLance safety lancet in 2000!
When Did It Start?
It all began in 1998 when my brother-in-law, John, invented the original SurgiLance safety lancet and invited me to help him build the company that is now MediPurpose. When we started the new Singapore company to develop a new safety lancet and market it in a faraway country, I could not imagine selling a billion safety lancets 15 years later!
What Did We Do?
As recounted in our medical device development success story and medical product distribution success story, we:
- Bootstrapped the company without the help of any venture capital funding
- Developed the SurgiLance brand through delivering quality products that met the needs of healthcare users
- Developed partnerships with distribution companies like AOSS Medical
- Developed the MediPurpose corporate brand by delivering superior customer service to our distribution partners and their customers
Where Are We Now?
Fifteen years later, I look back with pride on what we have achieved, which includes our:
- Flagship medical product, SurgiLance, one of the top five safety lancet brands worldwide
- Dedicated team of in-house professionals that work in the United States, Singapore and Europe
- Dedicated partners that have remained with us for many of those 15 years
- Worldwide distribution partners
Where Are We Going?
Our mission is to provide innovative healthcare solutions that are valued by our customers and partners. To achieve this, we collaborate with innovators and medical product suppliers to take their ideas and products from concept to commercialization. With this new direction, we:
- Developed and launched the babyLance safety heelstick in the neonatal market
- Developed the MediPlus Advanced Wound Care brand and sourced quality products from worldwide suppliers for the advanced wound care market
We look forward to our first billion dollars as we expand our medical product portfolio!